New York City, NY, United States
The Director of Operations is responsible for continually focusing on achieving hotel profitability through revenue generation, cost control, guest satisfaction and developing employees, while maintaining the integrity of the hotel.
* Focus on front office operation, including training, scheduling, daily duties, etc.
* Tour the operating departments, daily making adjustments as needed via department heads.
* Conduct weekly staff meetings, including weekly training sessions presented by managers and self using the steps to effective training according to Highgate Hotel standards, and the review of previous and future sales and operations efforts.
* Meet all financial review dates and corporate directed programs in a timely fashion.
* Hold a monthly financial review with all department managers, M.I.D.s and available supervisors.
* Ensure that all department heads maintain budgeted productivity levels and Highgate Hotel standard checkbook accounting procedures.
* Develop managers for future advancement through competency training and corporate sponsored training programs.
* Participate in required M.O.D. coverage as scheduled.
* Maintain direct contact with and monitor the development of management trainees.
* Adhere to all Highgate Hotel policies and procedures and train new managers to ensure compliance.
* Oversee and assist in the Highgate Hotel s budget process as required.
* Ensure that training in service standards is taking place in each department using the steps to effective training according to Highgate Hotel standards.
* Assist in creating a positive team-oriented environment which focuses on the guest, through employee development and motivation.
* Inspect rooms regularly (weekly at a minimum) with both the Housekeeping Manager and Property Engineer.
* Ensure complete processing of invoices daily by using the A/P process.
* Ensure that all appropriate information for financial documents is received by the Corporate Office monthly, in compliance with the monthly accounting calendar.
* Ensure the cleanliness and maintenance of the physical property through inspections and preventive maintenance programs with department managers.
* Ensure that employees are at all times attentive, friendly, courteous and efficient in their interactions with guests, management and all other employees.
* On a monthly basis, forecast the hotel's financial position by estimating revenues and line-by-line expenses. Analyze previous and projected data to generate an accurate Reforecast.
* Prepare and conduct all management interviews and follow hiring procedures according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s. Ensure that all managers are in compliance with the standards in their interviewing and hiring procedures for departmental staff.
* Interview all prospective final candidates for any vacant management position within the hotel prior to any offer being extended.
* Perform all department manager performance appraisals according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s, and ensure that managers are in compliance to the standards in their administration of performance appraisals to their staff.
* Motivate, coach, counsel and discipline all management personnel according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s and ensure that managers are in compliance to the standards in their administration of counseling and disciplinary steps.
* Perform any other duties as requested by the Vice President of Operations, Regional Director of Operations, General Manager.
* Ensure that all employees receive fair and equitable treatment according to Highgate Hotel S.O.P.'s.
* Meet clients on the property, including meeting contacts and potential clients touring the property, to assist in the sales effort.
* Be in the public areas during peak times, greeting guests and offering assistance as needed.
* Ensure procedures for handling of the hotel safe specifically with regard to security and monthly safe audits are followed and occur.
* Ensure monthly credit meetings are conducted and take an active role in the hotel credit and collection policies.
* Complete required corporate training modules, and become certified to train those as required.
* Ensure that all scheduled meetings take place on the property.
* Supervise all F&B personnel.
* Respond to guest complaints in a timely manner.
* Prepare the F&B budget and monitor department performance with respect to the same. Perform any necessary follow-up, including forecasting.
* Monitor industry trends, take appropriate action to maintain competitive and profitable operations.
* Work with other Executive Committee members and keep them informed of F&B issues as they arise.
* Keep immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems or matters requiring his/her attention.
* Coordinate and monitor all phases of Loss Prevention in the F&B department.
* Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner.
* Organize and conduct department meetings on a regular basis.
* Monitor quality of service and product.
* Cooperate in menu planning and preparation.
* Ensure timely purchase of F&B items, within budget allocation.
* Oversee operations of the employee cafeteria.
* Ensure compliance with all local liquor laws, and health and sanitation regulations.
* Ensure departmental compliance with SOP s.
* Ensure the training of department heads on SOP s, report preparation, technical job tasks.
* Attend and/or conduct departmental and hotel training (CARE, One to One), etc.
* Interview candidates for front-of-house F&B positions and follow standards for hiring approvals.
* Conduct and/or attend all required meetings, including pre-convention and post-convention meetings.
* Ensure overall guest satisfaction.
* At least 6 years progressive experience in a hotel or a related field; or a 4-year college degree and at least 4 to 5 years of related experience; or a 2-year college degree and at least 5 to 6 years of related experience.
* Long hours sometimes required.
* Light work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
* Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
* Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
* Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
* Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
* Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
* Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
* Participate in M.O.D. coverage as required.
* Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Highgate Hotel Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
* Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing nametags.
* Comply with Highgate Hotel Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
* Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
* Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
* Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
* Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
* Perform other duties as requested by management.
Highgate Hotels and its subsidiary companies will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to an applicant s race, color, age, religion, sex,