Washington, DC, United States
Jun 09, 2020
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. Holyoke is seeking a high-performing Substantially Separate Special Education Teacher. This position is best suited for an individual with a deep understanding and a contagious passion for learning. Candidates must have the ability to inspire students as a positive adult role model while maintaining an orderly and safe classroom environment. To teach at **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. candidates must be driven to perfect his/her craft through rigorous professional development, data analysis, and an eagerness to learn new instructional strategies. Ideal candidates will be eager to understand the intersection of academic demand and academic behavior and work to maintain high academic expectations regardless of the academic context.
The Substantially Separate Special Education teacher is responsible for providing Special Education services and accommodations to our students in the substantially separate classroom. This position will work as part of our student support team, which includes our school social worker, our special education director, our service providers, our school culture coordinator, and fellow special education teachers.
Building a Culture of Achievement and Teaching
* Implement school-wide procedures and routines consistently to build a culture of high expectations both academically and behaviorally
* Develop and track student progress toward IEP goals
* Serve as liaison for caseload of approximately ten to fifteen students
* Study and internalize subject area content and curriculum and prepare for daily instruction by completing daily lesson preparation that includes appropriate accommodations for students on your caseload
* Possibly develop modified curriculum that is aligned to grade-level standards
* Deliver rigorous, standards-based lessons and assessments to small groups using key instructional strategies taught in whole-school PD and in coaching sessions
* Track and analyze data to drive dramatic student achievement results
* Integrate social emotional program and skills into both formal and informal teaching moments with students
* Plan and lead data-driven small group and individual tutoring sessions daily with students
Team Planning and Professional Growth
* Participate actively in weekly student support meetings and identified content level planning meetings
* Partner closely with individual subject area teachers and co-advisor pairs to ensure effective implementation of accommodations for students on your caseload through strategic co-teaching
* Participate actively in professional development and incorporate lessons learned there into daily teaching practice
* Participate in weekly or bi-weekly coaching meetings, incorporating feedback into daily teaching and planning practices
Living Our Values and Our Mission
* Model the schools core values and standards for professional behavior
* Cultivate positive relationships with colleagues, students, parents and families
* Demonstrate a growth mindset for yourself and your scholars
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. and the Holyoke Public Schools are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate against employees or qualified job applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other status or condition protected by applicable law. This policy extends to, but is not limited to, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, training, and termination.
* Bachelors degree
* Possess or be eligible for a MA teaching license in middle school special education, including SEI endorsement
* Current authorization to work in the United States a candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment
* Teaching experience with a proven track record of producing dramatic achievement gains is ideal
* Unwavering belief that all students can achieve at high levels and strong commitment to do whatever it takes for all our students to be college-ready
* Belief in a structured school environment that promotes a positive culture of achievement
* Entrepreneurial spirit which embraces the opportunity for creativity, flexibility, and teamwork inherent in a high-performing, fast-paced organization and in a founding team!
Wondering if you should apply? Are you passionate about giving every child access to an education that will prepare them for wherever life takes them? Have you been thinking about a career change? Do you have experience working with children? Are you a life-long learner who thrives on feedback? If you answered yes, you should apply!.
Think you dont quite meet all the qualifications listed above? Apply anyway! We are looking for a truly diverse team of educators, and research shows that historically marginalized groups are more likely to apply only if they meet every requirement. We want to recruit and support a diverse staff, to understand the history of inequity in education, and to ensure students see teachers, staff, and leaders who look like them working in their schools.
Still not sure? Set up a call with a recruiter by emailing .
About **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. Charter School (VPCS) was founded in Springfield in 2012 with the mission to prepare students in grades 5-8 to compete, achieve, and succeed in high school, college, and beyond. VPCS now serves more than 370 Springfield students and is one of Massachusetts top-performing middle schools. Building on the success of VPCS, Friends of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. partnered with the Holyoke Public Schools, launching **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. Holyoke (VPH) in 2018 as part of Holyokes innovative turnaround efforts. VPH is a neighborhood enrollment school currently serving grades 5 and 6, growing one grade per year through grade 8.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. schools provide a college prep curriculum in a safe, positive, and rigorous learning environment that allows students to thrive both academically and socially. Our educators believe in expecting the best from every student and in the power of building strong relationships with students and families, creating a community that supports the achievement of all. To learn more about **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. and the close-knit academic community of teachers and scholars in Springfield and Holyoke, please visit .